Thursday, June 09, 2011

Hot Summer Days Less Productive

I've hit a snag in my daily life. All of a sudden I don't want to spend any more time than an hour at the computer. I don't want to get outside, except for grocery shopping or  water exercising. The hot and humid days seep my energy. All I want to do is sleep and sit. No television. No jewelry work. No stories to type up. I feel I'm more in the throes of deadbeat days. The weather was in the upper 90's for a couple of weeks. However, this week a tiny bit of rain and cool-down dropped the temp to 82 and 88 degrees. What a relief.

I open my email to Discovery online and read this: "
"The hottest summer day you remember from childhood could be the norm in a few decades; in fact it looks like the heat has already been cranked up.
When scientists talk about global warming causing more heat waves, people often ask if that means that the hottest temperatures will become 'the new normal,'" said Noah Diffenbaugh, an assistant professor of environmental Earth system science at Stanford," as reported by Tim Wall for Discovery News. Maybe that gives me carte blanche to be lazy.

To make the statements above I should be ashamed. I'm unable to volunteer to help those families involved in the floods and tornadoes.In my quiet time my mind skims along the shores of the Mississippi River where families struggle to clean debris from their flooded homes, assess the damage, clarify their future, with far less clothing and food than they once had. Fighting putrid water, slapping at mosquitos, peering around for dangerous snakes and crocs while they work can't be the most fun, but it is the biggest reality show on earth at this time. Keep these folks in your thoughts and prayers. Donate where you can.

No comments: